Tuesday, July 19, 2016

What to do after you click PUBLISH



So, you have written your post and you are dead excited about what you have had to say. Finally you have got off your chest what you have been crying out for ages – feels great. But then what?
What do you do after you hit that tiny blue publish button?

Still, even in this social media frenzy where 50% of Americans between the ages of 18-34 check their Facebook page before having their breakfast – people hit publish then do nothing!

I find this quite staggering, even if your blog has been around for ages and you get high rankings in the search engines people should still have a system in place after they publish their words of wisdom. Relying on Google alone should and will be punished sooner or later – it’s too unpredictable and poor business practice to rely solely on one means of traffic.

Here is what I do – I would love to hear your process.

First I share on Twitter usually, then I will share across LinkedIn and also post in all the groups I am involved in. I then share on my new Facebook page. Finally I post my article at Blokube. Also, throughout the days leading up to and a few days after I will participate in my sharing other posts on Triberr. This has been an awesome sharing site since I became a member a few months back. Here is a glimpse of my stats.



I recommend you check out these posts on Triberr if you are unfamiliar with the site :
How to Use Triberr
Do You T-r-i-b-e double rrrrr?

So, what does everyone else do? Well, I pitched this question to several marketers, bloggers and social media buffs I have had the privilege to come into contact with and the response was great – so many thanks to those who got back to me.

Matt Smith @ Online Income Teacher

I will tweet it out to my followers with the appropriate #hashtags and a ‘NEW POST:’ indicator. I’ll share it on my OnlineIncomeTeacher Facebook page, as well as any relevant Facebook groups that I am a part of. Similarly, I post a link to LinkedIn and any relevant professional groups that I have joined. I’ll post it on Google+, I will pin the images that I use in my posts to Pinterest, where I have set up separate Pinterest boards for different categories. Finally, I will share my link on StumbleUpon.

I will make sure to schedule Tweets and updates on my social networks to send out the same link later in the evening. That way, the post has more chance of reaching people in different time zones (especially when I am asleep). Admittedly, I can’t interact with these like I can when I am online, but they can still drive traffic to the site.

The last thing that tends to happen is that I write out my weekly newsletter (every Thursday) with links to all the posts I have published over that week. This will get sent out to my subscribers, reminding them of the posts that they may have missed that week.

Brent Carnduff @ EchelonSEO

I am still rather “old school” (as much as there is such a thing in the internet world) when it comes to sharing my posts. I do have an automatic feed set up to Triberr, Social Media Today, and Business 2 Community (B2C) blog syndication’s. Beyond that, I do everything manually.

Generally my first stop is twitter, then Google+. On G+, I’ll post it on my personal feed, then will go to my company page and “share” that post. I’m also starting to re-post it in appropriate Google+ Communities.

Next is LinkedIn – I share it on both my personal stream, and my LinkedIn Business page, and occasionally on the feeds of some of the LinkedIn groups that I belong to, and finally I’ll post it on my Facebook business page.

Clair Trebes @ This Is Clair Trebes

Once I’ve published a blog post, the first thing I do is share across Social Networking sites I am active on – which is Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn & Pinterest. I do this via the social sharing buttons that are attached to each post I make (I use a wordpress plugin for this) I don’t share my blog posts with my email list – the work / articles I post in my weekly newsletter are of a similar vein but as a rule I keep my blog posts separate – and work on other content for my email subscribers.

In addition to the Social sharing I share on my business facebook page and add it to a group that I am an admin on with Facebook – where a few of us share information relating to Social Media & Internet Marketing. And I also share it with my LinkedIn group that I have set up. I also would like to add that when I am checking out forums related to what I do, if I see a thread where someone is questioning a topic I’ve written about (providing the forum rules allow it) I will share various posts there to help people.

To maximise my audience on Pinterest & Twitter I include keywords and hashtags when I am posting my links to my posts.

Rob Cornish @ Gain Higher Ground

After hitting publish I email my list with a link to the blog post, post the link on my Facebook page and Twitter feed. That’s it!

Erik Emanuelli @ Free Make Money Advice

The first step when I publish an article, is to use the sharing buttons below the post. So Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus. Then sometimes I share the content on Scoop.it.

Then I use Twitter again. Even if some popular bloggers assume that Twitter is dead, this is still great social media, if used correctly. My RSS feed is also linked to Triberr so I also use this fantastic community site. “JustRetweet” and “ViralContentBuzz” are two other tools that I use to promote my new posts. I also share the article on MyBlogGuest, if it is a guest post.

Ah, and then I share the article via all my Facebook groups (more or less 10).

Last one, I share the content via BlogEngage and via Blokube. All this process takes 20 minutes of my time.

It’s not automated, but when you do the same always you can do it fast.

Tom Ewer @ Leaving Work Behind

This is a great question, because when I first started out blogging (and for quite some time thereafter), I did very little after hitting “Publish”. I shared the post via my social media profiles, but that was about it. These days I look to do some (or all) of the following:
Share via social media:
Twitter: three times over a 24 hour period
Facebook: just once
Google+: just once
Share with my email list (only once per week)
Reach out to any relevant people from my network (I have a huge list of people who I have interacted with in the past on a spreadsheet) and ask them for their thoughts and/or to share it.

My approach is still relatively limited but it seems to be doing pretty well for me. The key is in what you email to those people in your network, but that is far too big a topic to start talking about here.



So there we have it – a great collaboration of inside other people’s routines after they hit “publish”. There is some great advice in here from Matt’s Facebook Group sharing to Brent’s auto feed syndication. Maybe even Rob’s great interaction with his mailing list or Erik’s 20-minute formula. Let’s not forget Clair’s excellent idea of using forums or Tom’s priceless spreadsheet.

I think you will agree each method is great – I will certainly take a lot from each response and I hope you do to. (Maybe even the six I asked may learn a trick or two!)

One last note: each of the people who responded all had one thing in common. They all mention the importance of the follow up. Interaction with people who left their comments and thoughts on each post after its published – it’s this part that makes the whole thing tick. I would also like to second this statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment